Whoever you are, whatever the problem, get in touch.

Issues we can help with

  • Welfare benefits entitlement
  • Debt problems, how to manage your money and how to maximise your income
  • Consumer rights and how to get the service you’re entitled to
  • Employment problems including issues relating to redundancy, dismissal, retirement, parental entitlements rights, contractual changes
  • Housing issues (homelessness, neighbour problems…)
  • Legal and relationship issues
  • Tax problems (including council tax)
  • Utility problems
  • Immigration and nationality problems…
    …and just about anything else you can think of!

We use Advisernet, our online information system, to provide you with accurate, up to date information and advice.

Ways we can help

CAB advisers won’t tell you what to do, but we will explain your options and the possible outcomes of different courses of action.  We’ll encourage you to make your own decisions.

We can help you take action.  With your permission, we can sometimes act on your behalf.

Some of the ways we can help you include:

  • We’ll talk to you to find out more about what you need help with.
  • If  you need help negotiating with someone – for example, appealing a benefits decision, establishing a payment plan with creditors, getting redress from a supplier for bad service – we can do that. This might be by helping you to write a letter or by making phone calls.
  • We can help you fill in forms, for example to make a claim for benefits.
  • We can check that you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to, and at the right levels.
  • We can represent clients in court and at tribunals.  (Note:  this is a very busy specialist service – we try and help as many people as we can but it’s not always possible to help everyone.)
  • If your situation is particularly complex or would benefit from specialist input, we’ll refer you to experts either within or beyond the Scottish CAB Service as appropriate. For example, within Skye & Lochalsh CAB we have specialist case workers who can help with:  challenging DWP decisions at tribunal; court representation involving eviction and repossession; employment tribunals; Trust Deeds, Debt Arrangement Scheme and sequestration. 

Highland Council SymbolSnipImage (2)Pension_wise_Strap_RGBNational Standards Symbol